Best Adjustable Dumbbells - Guide & Reviews
If you are just deciding to workout at home or maybe you just want to take your workouts to the next level, you are going to need the right equipment to do so. The great news is, you don’t need a gym membership or a ton of fancy, at-home equipment like a power rack or a bench press setup to get a great workout at home.
Adjustable dumbbells are some of the most versatile pieces of workout equipment that you can find. They don’t take up a ton of space and you can workout every muscle group that you need to with literally just two pieces of equipment.
If you are considering buying a set of adjustable dumbbells, we have done most of the leg work and research for you. We have taken 10 of the top adjustable dumbbell sets and reviewed them for you so that you can decide which set of adjustable dumbbells are best for your needs.
Before we jump into the dumbbells though, let’s take a look at some of the things that you need to consider when shopping for an adjustable dumbbell set.
How To Choose The Right Adjustable Dumbbells
There are a ton of variety to adjustable dumbbells, and it can be easy to get lost in all of the features, prices, and small differences between sets. Here are some of the most important factors that we believe you should consider before you buy your own adjustable dumbbell set.
The first thing that you are going to want to take a look at before you get into buying your adjustable dumbbell set, is think about what you want to spend on a set of dumbbells. For most adjustable dumbbell sets, they are going to start around $100-$200 and go up from there.
We recommend taking a window shopper’s browse of the market, and simply reviewing this article, to get a good idea of what you can get for the price. Keep in mind that in most cases, you are going to get what you pay for, but you can definitely find some great deals on some quality adjustable dumbbell sets.
Material that Fits with Your Environment
One of the most important things that you need to consider when looking for the right adjustable dumbbell set for you is that you need the right material of dumbbells for the environment that you are going to be in.
Where are you going to be using and storing your dumbbell set?
- Your garage
- Your living room
- Your home office
- On hardwood floors
- On carpet floors
- In your backyard
- On your back porch or hardwood deck
This is going to tell you a lot about the size and materials of dumbbells that you are going to need. If you are going to be working out in your home or on a hardwood floor anywhere, you are probably going to want to make sure that you find some softer surface dumbbells so that you don’t scratch up your floor. If you are working out on carpet, you are going to be able to use harder surfaced dumbbells like stainless steel.
What Exercises You Are Going To be Doing
Another one of the most important things that you need to think about when looking for a set of adjustable dumbbells is the kinds of exercises you will be doing. Adjustable dumbbells come in a variety of materials that can make doing some exercises more comfortable and other exercises significantly less comfortable.
Adjustable dumbbells come with a variety of different grips and setups, so you need to consider what kinds of exercises you are going to be doing with them. Ideally, you are going to want dumbbells that are great for doing a variety of different lifts for your upper and lower body. Make sure that you have some comfortable handles that will work for doing a variety of different exercises.
Weight Increments that You Are going to Need
The last thing that we highly recommend that you take into consideration before buying a set of adjustable dumbbells is that they come in the weight increments that you need. Dumbbell sets can come with a variety of different weight increments ranging from 10 pounds down to 2.5. We would recommend selecting a dumbbell set that you can adjust at least in increments of 5, so that you can gradually work up in weight, on your exercises.
If you have a dumbbell set that only lets you work in increments of 10 pounds, you are going to find often that you are lifting weights that are either two light or two heavy. By making sure that you can adjust in increments of at least 5 pounds (or ideally 2.5) you can make sure that you are safely and gradually progressing in weight.
Other Considerations For Best Adjustable Dumbbells
Here are some other recommendations that we have that you should take into account before buying an adjustable dumbbell set.
- What brands do you like and trust the most?
- What equipment brands have the best reputations?
- What is the maximum amount of weight that you need to have on your dumbbell set?
- What is the minimum amount of weight that you need to have on your dumbbell set?
- What kind of material do you prefer for your dumbbell set?
- Where specifically are you going to place and store it?
- Are you going to be moving around your dumbbells quite a bit, or are they going to stay in one place?
Recommended Best Adjustable Dumbbells
Now that we have taken a look at some of the top priorities and features that you can be looking for in an adjustable dumbbell set, let’s go ahead and jump into some of the best adjustable dumbbell sets that we could find.
- XMark Adjustable Dumbbell
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Storage trays
- Heavy-duty chrome plated steel construction
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells
- Compact and easy to use design saves space and time
- PowerBlock Elite 5-90 Lb. Set w/Silver Stand
- Weight: 180 pounds
- Best compact design 2
- Superior balance
- Welded all steel weights
- Heaviest weight sets available
- Ironmaster 75 lb Quick-Lock Dumbbell System
- Weight: 191 pounds
- Super heavy duty construction
- Super space efficient design
- Chrome plated handles
- System includes two dumbbells at 75 lbs each
- Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell
- Weight: 90 pounds
- Adjustable dumbbells
- Suitable for both basic toning
- Heavy leg lifts
- Durable molding surrounds
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Weight: 52.5 pounds
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds
- Using a unique dial system
- Combines 15 sets of weights into one
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- Bayou Fitness Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Heavy-duty chrome plated steel construction
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells
- Compact and easy
- Lift from 10 to 50 lbs
- Ironmaster 45 lb Quick-Lock Dumbbell System
- Weight: 98 pounds
- Quick-Lock design
- Super heavy duty construction
- Chrome plated handles.
- No plastic or fragile parts to break
- Universal PowerPak Adjustable Dumbbells
- Weight: 121 pounds
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 4 to 45 pounds
- Great space and money saver
- Durable thermoplastic rubber handle
- Comfortable non-slip grip
- Vinyl Dumbbell Set, 40 Lbs Fit and Toned
- Weight: 40 pounds
- Perfect for arms
- Full body workout
- Standard in the lifting community
- The perfect solution for a beginne
- SPRI Deluxe Rubber Dumbbells
- Weight: 24.6 pounds
- Chrome-contoured handles
- Premium grade, quality engineered
- Unique hex shape prevents rolling and stack easily
- Black rubber encased coating increases durability
The XMark Adjustable Dumbbell set is the first of many stops that we are taking on this overview adjustable dumbbells.
This adjustable dumbbell set comes in a variety of different sizes, so that if you need more weight or less weight, you can order your dumbbell set accordingly.
This particular set comes with a heavy-weighted, chrome plated construction so that these dumbbells with hold up over the test of time.
The really nice thing about these dumbbells too are that they come in five pound increments so that you can easily adjust the dumbbells to the weight that you need, without having dumbbells that are either too light or too heavy. Here are some of the notes that we have on the XMark Adjustable Dumbbells.
- Durable chrome plated design that will hold up for consistent use, over the test of time
- Change in five pound increments so that you don’t have to worry about working with weights that are either too light or too heavy
- You can buy these dumbbells in singles as 25 pounds or 50 pounds, or buy them in a 25 or 50 pound pair of dumbbells
- It does not have the most secure weight selector, and the pin tends to fall out of the dumbbells
- The hard plates on these dumbbells make them really hard to put in and pull out of the stand
The Power Block Elite is a high tech set of dumbbells that attempts to cover all of the bases when it comes to your home workout needs.
Power Block has a really interesting design that definitely separates it both visually and technically from the rest of its competitors.
This set of adjustable dumbbells comes with a super durable stand so that it can hold all 90 pounds of optional weight that you can set for either or both hands.
Just to reiterate, that doesn’t mean that it holds 90 pounds total. These dumbbells have a total of 180 pounds of weight that you can use to get up to 90 pounds on each dumbbell. If you are a heavy lifter and enjoy heavy lifting at home, this could be the right set of dumbbells for you.
The other plus to this particular set is that you can scale your weight in 5 pound increments, so you don’t need to worry about a weight interval that is either too light or too heavy. Here are some of our further notes on this adjustable dumbbell set by Power Block.
- Durable, sturdy stand
- Unique design that really stands out from the rest of the competition
- This dumbbell set goes all the way from 5 pounds to 90 pounds, so it is great for everyone from the beginner or intermediate lifter, to the advanced or experienced dumbbell lifter
- After you get really strong, you can even expand this weight set up to 130 pounds in each hand
- Superiorly balanced weights that are really easy to setup and start using.
- This is one of the most expensive sets that we are looking at in the $700-$1k price range
- Offers great weight increments, but does not get down to 2.5 pound intervals
The Ironmaster 75lb Quick-Lock dumbbell set is another reliable, heavy lifting set. The first thing that we really liked upon reviewing the Ironmaster is that it has a big, sturdy stand, so that you don’t have to worry about knocking or turning this stand over on accident.
The interesting thing about the Ironmaster vs. the other dumbbell sets that we have looked at so far are that the weights are actually stored in the racks underneath the top of the dumbbell stand.
Most adjustable dumbbells sets have the weights lined up on the top of the dumbbell rack so that you can set your dumbbells down on the top of the rack and clip in how much weight you want. There is a little more of a manual loading process that comes with this particular dumbbell set.
The one thing that we really liked about this particular dumbbell set is that weights go up and down in 2.5 pound increments, which makes it really easy to gradually increase or decrease your weight. Here are some of the notes that we had on the Ironmaster 75 pound Quick-Lock adjustable dumbbell set.
- Can be loaded in increments of 2.5 pounds
- Can hold weights from 5 pounds to 75 pounds
- Heavy, durable components that can take a beating
- Compact dumbbells stand for easy storage
- Expandable to hold up to 120 pounds on each dumbbell
- Not your standard adjustable dumbbell loading, in that you have separate plates stored below the stand. So it takes a little more work and time to adjust the weight of your dumbbells
- A little more on the pricey end of adjustable dumbbell sets
The Bowflex SelecTech 1090 dumbbells are a sleek looking set of dumbbells by one of the biggest names in home fitness.
This particular set of Bowflex dumbbells allows you to quickly switch the weight that you are using by simply setting the dumbbells on the stand, and using the dial selector to put it on the amount of weight that you want to use.
These dumbbells adjust in 5 pound increments, which works really well for scaling your weight as you get stronger.
These dumbbells also offer weight starting at 10 pounds and going all the way up to 90 pounds, so they are great for everyone from novice lifters, to stronger and experienced weight lifters. Here are some of the notes that we have on these Bowflex adjustable dumbbells.
- Weights that range from 10-90 pounds, which make this set great for novice and experienced lifters
- Sleek design that comfortably fits your hands and would hold up well on a variety of surfaces
- Made by one of the most reputable companies in home fitness
- Easy to change weights that you can adjust with the click of a dial
- Compact stand and dumbbells that you can put just about anywhere, without taking up too much space
- Kind of expensive
- Based on what we have observed and customer reviews, the weight that you select on the dumbbell may vary from the actual weight
Here is yet another adjustable dumbbell set by bowflex that will give you a little more variety within the same company’s products.
The Bowflex SelecTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells are the sturdy little brother of the SelecTech 1090’s.
This set works up and down in increments of 2.5 pounds, and can be adjusted to weights ranging from 5 to 52.5 pounds.
It has the same easy switch select system that allows you to set the dumbbells on the stand and easily adjust the weight with the spin of a dial. Here are some of our notes on this Bowflex adjustable dumbbell set.
- Weight can be adjusted in 2.5 pound increments, so it is really easy to gradually bump up your weight as you get stronger without giving your muscles too much to handle, as you would face with increments that only adjust in 5 or 10 pounds
- Reliable product by one of the biggest companies in home fitness
- Really simple and easy to adjust the weights of these dumbbells.
- You can set them to hold everything from 5 to 52.5 pounds, which make them great for a variety of strengths and lifting experience.
- Reasonably priced
- Some have complained that these dumbbells appear to be cheaply made
- Not as durable as the stainless steel designed dumbbells.
The Bayou Fitness Adjustable dumbbells are one of the most affordable dumbbell options that we are going to take a look at in this review.
These dumbbells are made of heavy duty, chrome-plated steel so that they can taking a beating in any kind of exercise or environment, and keep coming back for more.
This dumbbell set will give you the range of working with 10 pounds to 50 pound dumbbells in increments of 10, so this set may not be the best for beginner weight lifters.
Technically, you can just use the dumbbell itself and get 5 pound dumbbells up to 50, and you can even set up these dumbbells in 2.5 pound increments, as long as you don’t mind having a little imbalance on weight from one side to another. Here are some more of our notes on the Bayou Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells.
- Sturdy, chrome plated steel design
- Easy to use the pin selector to set your dumbbell on the stand and select your weight
- Can actually be used in 2.5 pound increments from 5-50 pound dumbbells
- Really affordable compared to other dumbbell sets that go up to 50 pounds
- Can create some off-balanced weights if you want to work in 2.5 pound increments
- The weighty dumbbells can occasionally get stuck in the hard plastic base
The Ironmaster Quick-lock adjustable dumbbell set is another interesting and effective take on adjustable dumbbells.
This particular set is unique because it offers a lower top weight than other sets, at 45 pounds, but it can scale up and down in 2.5 pound increments.
This design is super durable, made with welded steel and chrome plated steel handles that can hold up to just about anything.
There are no fragile or plastic parts anywhere to be seen on this dumbbell set. Here are some further notes that we had on the Iron master adjustable dumbbells.
- One of the sturdiest designs that we have seen yet
- Holds weight on each dumbbell up to 45 pounds
- Scales up or down in 2.5 pound weight increments
- Really easy to adjust the weight of these dumbbells.
- They only go up to the weight of 45 pounds on each dumbbell
- A decently high price, especially considering that they can’t hold as much weight as other dumbbells.
The Universal PowerPak Adjustable Dumbbell set is another reliable set of dumbbells that has a very striking design.
They are primarily made of plastic and rubber, which make them great for soft surfaces, and can be scaled from 5 to 45 pounds in 5 pound increments.
It also comes with a workout guide, so if you are a beginner, it can show you the ropes of dumbbell weight lifting.
- Simple and durable design
- Comfortable grips for the handles
- A great dumbbell set for beginners, that scales up in increments of 5 pounds
- Space saving design, so it doesn’t take up a bunch of room in your home
- Really affordable
- Pretty cheaply made, in comparison to some of the other dumbbells in this review
- Limited in terms of maximum weight
- The weights tend to slide around a little when they are on the dumbbells, but nothing dangerous
The Vinyl Dumbbell set is what most of you would tend to think of for an old school, bodybuilder adjustable dumbbell.
The weights that come with this set are durable, classic cement filled weights. This weight set comes with a total weight of 40 pounds, so it can go up to 20 pounds on each dumbbell.
This is one of the most affordable dumbbell sets that we have taken a look at.
- Super sturdy design for the dumbbell and weights
- Easy to store
- A great weight set for beginner lifters
- Pretty inexpensive
- Doesn’t give you a ton of room to grow in terms of max weight
- Cheaply made
The SPRI Deluxe Rubber Dumbbells are actually the only dumbbells in this review that aren’t adjustable.
These are what you think of when you envision your classic steel handles, with rubber coating on the ends where the weight is.
The great aspect of going with these SPRI dumbbells is that they offer a ton of versatility in terms of the surfaces and places that you can train on.
They have a durable, comfortable design, but the chances are you will need to buy multiple weights of different sized dumbbells for exercises that require more weight and exercises that require less weight. Here are some of our notes on these dumbbells by SPRI.
- Hex shape dumbbell heads that prevent your dumbbell from rolling on the ground
- The black rubber coating on the ends of these dumbbells make them more durable, and less likely to scratch your floors
- Reasonable price per pound
- These are not adjustable dumbbell sets
- You are probably going to have to purchase multiple dumbbells to meet all of your workout needs.
In the end, there has to be one that stood out amongst the rest, right? There definitely was for us, and in this case it was the Bowflex SelecTech 1090 Adjustable dumbbells. They offer the highest maximum weight, with the most adjustability, and 2.5 pound increments, for the most reasonable price.
Getting these dumbbells is definitely an expense, but will give you plenty of room to grow and get stronger so that you won’t have to worry about buying more dumbbells or dumbbell set expansions, when you work up in weight. In our opinion, these dumbbells have the most to offer for the price that they are at.
We Built The List After Hours of Research!
Save time, get one of these products we recommended. These are the best of the best!